North East Regional e-Science Centre/Digital Curation Centre Collaborative Workshop - 5th February 2007 Room 2.22, The Research Beehive, University of Newcastle
10.00 -10.15 - Coffee/Registration
10.15 -10.25 - Welcome/Introduction - Paul Watson, Director of NEReSC
10.25 -10.35 - Welcome/Introduction - Liz Lyon, DCC Associate Director
10.35 -11.35 - Presentations from NEReSC covering:
Cultural Computing - (AMUC, Vidipedia [Video archiving and retrieval], Contested Project, Digital Jewellery)
CISBAN - understanding the complex mechanisms underpinning the ageing process
CARMEN - Code Analysis, Repository, and Modelling for e-Neuroscience
GOLD: Grid-based Information Models to Support the Rapid Innovation of
New High Value Added Chemicals
MESSAGE - Mobile Environmental Sensor Systems Across a Grid Environment
11.35 -12.35 - Presentations from the DCC
Introduction to DCC User Services -Maureen Pennock
Research Overview - Chris Rusbridge Director of the DCC
Cross-disciplinary communication/collaboration - Ross Harvey Professor of Library and Information Management, Charles Sturt University, Australia and visiting scholar at HATII
12.35 - 3.15 - Lunch and Discussion
(small groups or plenary depending on numbers)
* What policies currently exist on preservation and curation at
project, centre or Institution/University level?
* Was there a provision for preservation and curation written into
the recent project proposals e.g. CARMEN?
* What skills are available in-house?
* How has data from past projects been preserved?
* Are there any plans for a digital repository at a project
* Are there any particular challenges in individual projects with
regard to data? - technical/legal/ethical etc
* eScience projects, requirements/ ways that DCC could
collaborate/follow-up visits etc.